The Lane


The Lane is family.  ~ Gail Malone Poole

I can’t count the times I ran into the kitchen back in the early 1960’s, when I was 7, 8, and 9 years old, to say breathlessly, “Mama, I’m going down the lane.”  In the summer her response was, “Did you get the snake kit?” In the winter, “Button your coat.”  Sometimes it was, “Look out for the dogs, rash of rabies this year.”  Or maybe, she’d say, “Watch out for the trucks, “Those loggers can’t see you, you know.”  A quick nod and off I’d go.  When I was smaller, my adventure took me was just down to the pump house located to the right of the metal bins.  There were no bins there early on.  There were usually cows in the field on the right and instead of peanuts on the left there was cotton…and I picked plenty of it.  I had my own cotton picking bag made for me out of blue and white striped material by my neighbor, Mrs. Waites.   I spent most of my time on the lane skipping and singing.  Singing songs by Brenda Lee and Skeeter Davis.  Singing them just as loud as I wanted.  The rest of the time, I spent just looking and thinking and feeling the muggy Georgia breeze, the sweltering heat of the southern sun or the wet freezing cold of the miserable Georgia winters.  All and all it was a good time.

As I got older I would sometimes walk half way down to Goose Hollow…But that’s another memory.

Gail M2 Poole
2008 

The Lane was taken by Gail Malone Poole
off Highway 257 in Georgia, USA in 2008.
It is F-007 in the Faces of Nature Gallery.

Gail Malone Poole - All Rights Reserved - JaRySa LLC

No comments:

Post a Comment